Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My lovely Seester

I have been thinking about this post for a while now, and I believe this is the perfect time to publish it! A month ago, I was listening to a song I hold very dear to my heart for multiple reasons. The song is "Somethings Are Meant To Be" from the musical Little Women. One reason I love this song is because it is from the first musical I ever saw professionally done (I saw it down in Dallas around the time I was playing the part of Jo March at our community theater) and this is the one song I can still see in my mind. I also love the message the song is saying. Also, I think of my sister and our relationship together. The final reason I love this song, is because I was able to sing this duet with my sister at my senior recital last year. I asked her to sing it with me because it does describe how our relationship use to be, how it is, and probably how it will be in the future.

God blessed me with having Rachel as my big sister, because while our personalities are different (and in any other circumstances, it could be volatile) we get along so extremely well, and we always grow in life and faith.

God's plans are always bigger and better and more grand than anything we can image. If someone had told me 4 years ago when Rachel went off the Belmont, that she would go to Tulsa and be a University Ministries Intern with the college (let alone the church) that I go to, I would have laughed and said "No, she will be off somewhere singing, she would never do that!" And yet, that is where God has called her to be. She just moved in this past weekend, and is embarking on an adventure that I get to watch and see.

The one question most everyone has asked us is, "Are you two going to be living together?" And while I do think we could do that after we are both out of college (if God is calling us to the same town) we have not ever felt like that is something that should happen in Tulsa. I am still a college student who needs to grow in ways that Rachel has already done, she needs to feel freedom in a new town being a graduate of college. That doesn't mean we wont take Tulsa by storm, it just means space is a good thing, we do not want to damage our relationship by being together 24/7!


Anyways, big sisters are the best, especially when mine doesn't always act like the oldest!! I don't think I would want another sister (maybe a sister-in-law many years from now, but we will never pressure Daniel to move on that anytime soon) because that girl would probably be left out, or I would because she and my sister would get along so well. God's plan is good and all knowing, I have to applaud him on the grace he gave me and my sister in our lifetimes, that is for sure. So, to anyone thinking that their sister is not that great, think again, they are the best thing anyone can have. I will end with the lyrics from Some Things Are Meant to Be from Little Women the Musical (some background on the song, this is Jo and Beth at the beach, right before Beth dies) I sang Jo's part, Rachel Beth's part.

Some Things Are Meant To Be
Beth:
Let's pretend we're riding on a kite. Let's imagine we're flying through the air!

Jo:
We'll ascend until we're out of sight. Light as paper, we'll soar!

Beth:
Let's be wild, up high above the sand, feel the wind, the world at our command.
Let's enjoy the view, and never land.

Jo:
Floating far from the shore.

Beth:
Some things are meant to be, the clouds moving fast and free.

Jo:
The sun on a silver sea.

Both:
A sky that's bright and blue.

Beth:
And some things will never end.

Jo:
The thrill of our magic ride.

Beth:
The love that I feel inside for you.

Jo:
We'll climb high beyond the break of day.

Beth:
Sleep on stardust, and dine on bits of moon

Jo:
You and I will find the Milky Way. We'll be mad, and explore.
We'll recline a loft upon the breeze.
Dart about sail on wit with ease.
Pass the days doing only as we please, that's what living is for.

Beth:
We'll be mad, and explore. We'll recline a loft upon the breeze.
Dart about sail on wit with ease.
Pass the days doing only as we please, that's what living is for.
Some things are meant to be, the tide turning endlessly,
the way it takes hold of me, no matter what I do,
and some things will never die, the promise of who you are,
the memories when I am far from you.
All my life, I've lived for loving you; let me go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment