Monday, February 8, 2016

Unexpected Circumstances

Every well thought out plan can be hindered.

Friday I hit a wall - it was 11 o'clock at night and I did not want to do yoga, I was ready to go to bed. But I rallied and did 10 minutes of a guided meditation in the yoga app, felt proud I had done my goal even though I was cranky and didn't want to do yoga so late at night.

A few hours later, I get very sick. I won't go into details but let's just say that there was no way I was going to do yoga Saturday or Sunday because my body was incredibly weak and to force myself to do yoga would not have been wise.

While I was mad that I couldn't do my goal for those days - as I reflect I realize this was a good thing. Because I learned some things:

1. I was mad because I wanted to do yoga! That is amazing that I wanted to complete my goal even while incredibly sick.

2. These months of trying are going to have bumps in the road - if everything went perfectly I would get an ego complex. Or if everything went perfectly and I decided not to do a day of trying I would berate myself for not being perfect - and that a load of BS.

3. Some things are out of my hands and all I can do is adjust and go forward.

4. But trying is a success - and sometimes not forcing myself to try when my body or mind is not in a great place is a success because I am understanding my body's needs.

Sure, I am going to have to push myself like I did Friday night. Trying new things is hard. I am learning from this past weekend though that I can't push myself too hard because that can cause more harm than good. So I call this weekend a success, when unexpected circumstances came upon me I had to decide what would help me the most, and rest was the best answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment