Monday, July 11, 2016

When Life Gets in the Way of Goals

It's crazy that two months have passed and I have not reflected via blog. Thought on the other hand, I have found my Year of Trying has felt like it's been put on the back-burner in that time too.

May started well with meditation a few days - then England happened and that just overwhelmed me. (Seems like meditation would have been the best way to combat this...)

England was amazing - it was a whirlwind - but I loved every minute of it. It was a dream come true, and I had the chance to see the Queen!

June was much slower. June's goal was hand lettering quotes each day. The first half of the month was great - I have collected quotes over the years so I had a lot of content and my hours of downloading free fonts to be able to hand letter paid off too! Then Orlando happened and that just blew me away. This city that I lived in and loved for 2 years was hit with a devastating tragedy. My final quote I lettered was from the Tony's "Love, is love, is love, is love" - Lin-Manuel Miranda

Even though June was slow, it was such a drastic change from March-May I seized the idea of being lazy - but also hating how slow everything was! (My brain y'all, it's special)

July was suppose to be reading a spiritual book (and multiple if I completed this before the end of July) but then I suddenly panicked about grad school. I ordered GRE prep books, did exercises on the Khan Academy app, and decided instead of stressing and beating myself up for feeling conflicted I decided to move July's task to November (which had no task assigned yet) and decided July's goal for trying was trying to learn/study for the GRE. Sure, it might be cheating, but it is improving my mind (one of the ultimate goals this year) so I'm okay bending my own rules.

The rest of the year might be a hot mess - with starting to apply for grad schools, taking the GRE, juggling two courses and job - but that is part of the joy of this year. To do new things in the midst of crazy (cause I am coming to terms that crazy will never disappear in life) and see how that brings up emotions, struggle, etc.

So - life keeps going on and I keep trying

No comments:

Post a Comment